Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes for September 21, 2021

Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Habitat Community Development District was held in the Bella Terra Clubhouse at 20070 Bella Terra Boulevard in Estero, Florida and also via web conference on Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 4 p.m.

Present (or attending via web conference) and constituting a quorum were:

Joe Napolitano – Chair
Larry Roth – Vice Chair
Jenny Licht- Assistant Secretary
Mark Novitski – Assistant Secretary
Linda Lea Gibson – Assistant Secretary

Also present (or attending via web conference):

Cal Teague – PDM District Manager
Chris Pepin – Field Manager
Greg Urbancic – Attorney
Charlie Krebs – Engineer
Tad Kring – Irrigation Specialists
Christopher Dudak – PDM Client Services Manager

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Habitat Community Development District Board of Supervisors Meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The meeting was called to order and all Board members were present. Also in attendance were Cal Teague, the District Manager and Chris Pepin, the Field Manager. Participating via web conference were Charlie Krebs, the Engineer, Greg Urbancic, the Attorney, Tad Kring from Irrigation Specialists, and Christopher Dudak of PDM.


THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

Add 6Cg Surge Protector Proposal, 6Ed Corkscrew Road’s Drainage Concerns, and 7G Gutter Drainage Concerns at 21143 Palese Drive.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Amended Agenda was approved as submitted.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

  • Paul Borsky commented on the request for Lake 22 to have littoral removal to allow fishing without vegetation. He also does not want any rip rap installed. He does not think there are any liability issues.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Meeting Minutes for August 17, 2021

On Page 5, Line 4 Supervisor Gibson stated that her middle name is Lea rather than Lee. She also noted that condos should be changed to villas on Page 13, Line 122.

On MOTION by Supervisor Gibson, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Meeting Minutes from August 17, 2021 were approved as amended.


A. Irrigation Contractor

Tad Kring from Irrigation Services compiled a report which was sent online before the meeting. He is also checking to make sure he has any license in the name of the District that he will then have converted to Habitat.

i. Monthly Irrigation Report

  • All projects discussed in the last meeting have been completed.
  • The capping of the irrigation main, at the emergency exit, that is being constructed will be completed soon. It will be 30″ lower in grade because of the construction of the exit. There will be no problems with the flow of irrigation water.
  • All pump stations are functioning well.

ii. Snail Treatment Program Update

  • Reports of snail issues have been significantly reduced. This is due to the treatment of Copper Sulfate.
  • Flushing continues and the frequency of snails has lessened.
  • Mr. Kring is now copied on work orders for Villas III.

a. Chlorine Tank Installation Update

  • The chlorine storage tank has not been delivered yet.

b. Flush-outs Installation Update

  • Four more flush-outs have been installed and put on the GIS map.

iii. Rain Sensor Installation Update

  • The installation is complete and is set for 1/2″ rain as a trigger to shut off.
  • Contractors have been informed that any individual rain sensors are no longer needed.

iv. PS-2 VFD Replacement Update

  • The VFD on PS-2 has been replaced and it is testing well.

v. Valve Replacements Update

  • A spreadsheet of all the replacements was in the agenda and the packet.

B. District Manager

i. Bond Refinancing Options

District Manager Teague reported that a large series on the current refinanced bond was purchased at different rates, so it was difficult to determine the current interest rate on remaining bonds. He will find a bond consultant who will help determine if it is feasible to refinance. Attorney Urbancic and District Manager Teague will discuss whether there are other options. District Manager Teague will also talk with a bank to avoid underwriting costs. Supervisor Gibson will be the Board contact.

ii. FPL Street Light Billing Credit Update

FPL issued the credit requested. The specifics are in the packet.

a. FPL Billing Questions

This was not discussed, but District Manager Teague explained this to Chair Napolitano and Supervisor Novitski after the meeting. that the reason that there were higher monthly charges was due to the dry season and that irrigation pumps are running longer. No unusual issues caused higher usage.

C. Field Manager

i. Current Field Report

  • Plecostomus have not been seen in the lakes but have been noticed in the preserve. It is assumed that they die in the dry season when the water recedes and they do not return to the lakes.
  • A compressor is in danger of falling into a lake due to a washout from an irrigation head. Field Manager Pepin will have it moved so it is protected.
  • The Board discussed the roof drains from homes discharging into the lakes and potentially causing erosion. The Board asked Field Manager Pepin to notify ARC that any discharges into the lakes be reported to the CDD so they can advise how to pipe the discharge to the lake.
  • There were letters sent to two residents to clean up trash. Supervisor Novitski suggested that they be charged a fee if it is done in the future.
  • There have been resident complaints about concrete residue on gutters and sidewalks. These complaints are seen to be exaggerated. The contractors will do a good job cleaning up after the project is completed.

ii. Project Updates

a. Stormwater System Cleaning
Field Manager Pepin reported that MRI informed him that the project is 90% complete. They expect to be finished soon.

b. FPL Street Light Head Replacement
FPL is still requesting that sealed plans/photometric survey be completed before the new lamps can be installed. Field Manager Pepin, District Manager Teague, and Supervisor Novitski will meet online with the Village of Estero on September 27th to discuss the project.

c. Gutter/Curbing/Sidewalk concrete Repair Update
County Concrete is making its way through the community making repairs. They hope to have the project completed soon. Field Manager Pepin is checking all complaints to ensure a quality finish is received.

d. Clocktower Foam Repair Proposal
Field Manager Pepin has reached out to One Source again in regards to submitting an estimate for the repairs. He has not heard back.

e. GIS Updates
Passarella updates have been completed. Field Manager Pepin made sure that he identified which roadway signs are CDD and which are HOA. He also had them include the non-CDD drainage systems.

f. Street Sign Replacements Proposal
The board previously approved a new 13′ 10″ height sign for the guardhouse. A Supervisor asked if the sign should show 13′ 8″ to allow a 2″ buffer. The Board agreed that the signs should be 13′ 10″, the exact height of the elevation of the lowest height of the entry arch, and the outgoing arch as they leave the structure. Also, the board asked the HOA to remove any signage instructing trucks to use the resident lane only.

g. Surge Protectors Install at Irrigation Pump Stations Proposal
A new proposal was provided as a handout discussing surge protectors on all irrigation pumps.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Board agreed that surge protectors be put on all irrigation pumps, not to exceed $2,500.

D. Attorney

i. Letter to Support Master (ARC) Reimbursement to CDD
The Board has not received a response from the HOA ARC to request that the CDD be included on any program developed for damage reimbursement during review and approval of ARC submitted projects. The Board requested that a letter be sent asking that the CDD be included in the process for developing the approval guidelines. District Manager Teague will send the letter.

ii. Cardno Contract Review Update
Attorney Urbancic marked up the contract, and it was sent to Cardno for execution.

  • Attorney Urbancic stated that he sent District Manager Teague and Engineer Krebs the template for the stormwater maintenance program set through HB 53.
  • Attorney Urbancic also stated that the Lee County Sheriff installed license plate reader will be the Sherriff’s liability and they have to abide by public records requests. Supervisor Novitski suggested that a letter be sent to the Sheriff and the HOA stating that we don’t have access to the camera database, and that we will direct records requests to them. The need for the camera system is to be put in by HOA request, but it is on CDD designated property. Ed Capazutto and Chair Napolitano will sign it. A Supervisor informed Attorney Urbancic that it is called a Flock system.

E. Engineer

i. Emergency Access Road Updates

a. Project Updates

  • Engineer Krebs stated that the project has begun with the clearing and grading offsite to allow Tad to cap the irrigation mains in that area. Once that is completed, Tad can complete the capping of the irrigation main, which will prevent damage to the irrigation system from the construction. When that is complete, they will prepare the subgrade for the pavers.
  • Engineer Krebbs stated that Carter Fence has submitted the application for installation of the access gate. Once it is approved, they will review it with Engineer Krebs. Then they will meet with Bentley Electric about providing power. After the gate is complete, landscaping will be done while they wait for the Corkscrew Road work to be completed.
  • According to Engineer Krebs, the utility work has to be completed before a culvert can be put over the drainage swale.

b. Total Project Schedule: Clearing, Building, Electrical, Gate, Landscaping

Discussed above.

c. New Construction Proposals

  • The project has begun and all work has been authorized.
  • Supervisor Novitski stated that the drainage pipes are between Corkscrew Road and Lake 1 that they flow from the property line into our drainage system. Lee County is responsible for cleaning the lines outside the District property to Corkscrew Road, and we clean from the property line to Lake 1.
  • During construction, the County needs to prevent silt from getting into the pipes.
  • When MRI works on our pipes, we need to inform the County and ask them to coordinate their cleaning with our work. Supervisor Novitski stated that Dave Murphy from the County understood this.
  • Engineer Krebs will talk with Field Manager Pepin about turf block locations, get ownership from HOA, and talk to the County.


A. “No Parking” Yellow Curb Painting Map

  • The map was provided by Field Manager Pepin and was included in the packet. Chair Napolitano received feedback from residents that they do not like the yellow paint on the curbs. They do not want any more yellow painted.
  • Chair Napolitano stated that they should get together with the Master HOA Board. Anyone parked illegally should get a ticket. Supervisor Novitski stated that there are areas that emergency vehicles could not get by. Chair Napolitano will talk with Ed Capazutto.

B. Roadway Restriping

  • The Board would like to have the entire community restriped. Field Manager Pepin presented a proposal from D&G Pavement Solutions to have it done for $7,917.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Board agreed to have the community restriped, not to exceed $8,000.

C. Stop Signs in Roundabouts

  • Supervisor Novitski believes that the Stop signs in the roundabouts should be replaced with Yield signs, so that they are consistent with the Village of Estero, other communities, and the County. Chair Napolitano thinks that having Stop signs is safer.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with 4 in favor, and Chair Napolitano opposed, the Board agreed to have the Stop signs at roundabouts replaced with Yield signs, not to exceed $2,000.

D. Creating Fishing Spots on the Lakes

  • Supervisor Novitski pointed out that the littorals filter out any nutrients in the lake and should not be removed for fishing. District Manager Teague stated that the lakes are classed as water retention basins, not recreational lakes. Supervisor Licht stated that there should be fishing allowed in common areas to benefit the community. Chair Napolitano stated that once it is approved for one, there will be requests from others.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with 3 in favor, and Supervisor Gibson and Supervisor Licht opposed, the Board agreed to remove no littorals and make no fishing areas available in common areas.

E. Interior Gatehouse Renovations

  • Vice Chair Roth cannot find anyone to do the project at a reasonable price. The Board encouraged Vice Chair Roth to keep looking.

F. 21070 Torre Del Lago Gutter Repair Request

  • A homeowner requested that 41′ of gutter be restored by the CDD in front of his home. The cost would be approximately $3,000. The Board agreed that this is not a priority and should be tabled until the next time concrete is addressed.

G. Gutter Drainage Concerns at 21143 Palese Drive

  • This new request from a resident is in the handouts. The Board decided to table this until next year.


A. Financials for August, 2021

  • In response to Supervisor Licht’s question, the Board stated that pool service has increased, because it was approved previously.
  • District Manager Teague stated that Tad’s fees on modems have increased. He also stated that the license for software should be in CDD’s name.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Board agreed to accept the August, 2021 financials.


A. Estero Council of Community Leaders:


Chair Napolitano is concerned about a palm tree on the Bella Terra roundabout that may have been struck by lightning. Supervisor Licht stated that Estate is looking into the condition of the palm trees there to see if they can be salvaged.


  • Ed Capazutto commented on parking enforcement and said that the rover has been instructed to be nice and to tell people to move rather than to issue a ticket.
  • Mr. Capazutto also stated that the HOA can send out e-mail blasts to the residents for community projects.
  • In addition, Mr. Capazutto commented on the ARC letter that was discussed by the Board. Some in the HOA see it as a waste of time. Also, they are considering whether to require a cash deposit.
  • Reas Graber stated that the palm tree on the aforementioned roundabout is being treated. He also would like fishing to be allowed.
  • Paul Borsky commented on his disappointment at the vote not to remove littorals to allow for fishing.


The meeting was adjourned by Chair Joe Napolitano at 6:00 pm. The next meeting will be October 19, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.

Chair/Vice Chair