Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes for October 18, 2022

Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Habitat Community Development District was held in the Bella Terra Clubhouse at 20070 Bella Terra Boulevard in Estero, Florida and also via web conference on Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 4 p.m.

Present (or attending via web conference) and constituting a quorum were:

Joe Napolitano – Chair
Larry Roth – Vice Chair
Linda Lea Gibson – Assistant Secretary
Mark Novitski – Assistant Secretary
Jenny Licht – Assistant Secretary

Also present (or attending via web conference):

Cal Teague – PDM District Manager
Chris Pepin – Field Manager, Field Management Services
Charlie Krebs – Engineer, Hole Montes, Inc.
Greg Urbancic – Attorney, Coleman Yovanovich Koester, PA
Connor Krebs – Eagle Scout
Residents, including newly elected Supervisor Norman Reno

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Habitat Community Development District Board of Supervisors Meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The meeting was called to order and all Board members were present. Also in attendance were Cal Teague, the District Manager, Connor Krebs, an Eagle Scout, Chris Pepin, the Field Manager, Charlie Krebs, the Engineer, newly elected Supervisor Norman Reno, and some Residents. Participating via web conference was Greg Urbanic, the Attorney.


THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

On MOTION by Supervisor Licht, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Agenda was approved, as submitted.

Because this was Supervisor Novitski’s last meeting, Chair Napolitano deferred to him to conduct the meeting, and there were no objections.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on the Agenda.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Workshop Meeting Minutes from September 20, 2022

Vice Chair Roth commented that there were several spelling errors, and he presented District Manager Teague with a list identifying them.

On MOTION by Supervisor Licht, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Board accepted the September 20, 2022 Draft Workshop Meeting Minutes, as amended.

B. Draft Regular Meeting Minutes from September 20, 2022

On MOTION by Vice Chair Roth, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Board accepted the September 20, 2022 Draft Regular Meeting Minutes, as submitted.


A. Irrigation Contractor

i. Monthly Irrigation Report

Tad Kring’s report was reviewed and the following items were discussed:

Supervisor Novitski stated that the pumps can be remotely shut off, which was done before Hurricane Ian, and they were turned back on after the event.

He also commented on the recent electrical costs, and it appears that the pumps are going bad. The age of the pumps was discussed, and District Manager Teague will investigate the dates of installation.

B. District Manager

i. Hurricane Ian Storm Damage Discussion

District Manager Teague had sent information to the board about the damage Field Manager Pepin has identified so far. He stated that a line item for Hurricane Ian had been added to the Budget. He has also opened an account for reimbursement by FEMA for CDD storm incurred damage costs. The category he submitted was for small projects for damage reimbursement of $130,000 to $1 million. He also stated that Premier District Management will have to charge for filing and managing the FEMA account on either a percentage of reimbursement or at an hourly rate.

District Manager Teague suggested having the stormwater system scoped and cleaned where needed, because of all the debris that had accumulated after the storm. This is a FEMA eligible expense.

Supervisor Novitski would like the Board to consider the acquisition of a generator to help pump out the excess water for future events.

C. Field Manager

i. Project Updates

Field Manager Pepin reported on the following issues:

a. FPL Street Light Head Replacement Update

Chris stated that he had no updates, and he noted that several of the new light fixtures were damaged in the storm.

b. 2022 Community Concrete Repair Project Update

The contractor had completed everything that had been requested, and they were paid the remaining balance of the contract.

ii. Current Field Report

There was no Field Report due to the lack of internet service after the storm.

a. Service History Report

This was in the packet, and there were no questions.

b. Projects and Work Order Tracking Logs

This was in the packet, and there were no questions.

iii. Hurricane Ian Clean Up Update

The Board requested that the HOA Manager be informed of the clean up activity.

a. The vault for the clock tower fountains had 2 feet of water in it, and Water Works Pools had been having trouble getting the pumps back online for the fountain geysers. They are still troubleshooting the issue to ensure that there are no other problems.

b. One of the clocks on the tower is incorrect and needs to be inspected.

c. Carter Fence had inspected the emergency gate, because the arm is not lining up with the post, and they are repairing it.

d. All the vegetation along the preserves that are adjacent to homes and on the common grounds have been cut back.

e. A small plastic privacy fence at PS4 is needing repair.

f. Tad had reported that all irrigation equipment is working.

g. Several new light fixtures were damaged from the storm, and one light pole was down. Chris stated that FPL was not taking orders yet to repair light poles.

h. A fence screen had been ordered and will be installed around the exposed fence at the Lake 6 irrigation pump station. When other more important tasks are completed, the clusia stumps will be removed and new ones will be planted.

i. A trash clean-up around all the lakes will be completed in the near future.

iv. Lake Maintenance Bids

Proposals were received from 8 lake maintenance and fountain/aeration companies, and Chris recommended two options: The first is to try the firm Premier Lakes for both lake maintenance and aerator maintenance. The second option, which will save money, is to use Premier Lakes for lakes and Lake Doctors for the aeration equipment.

On MOTION by Chair Napolitano, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Board approved Premier Lakes for lake and aerator maintenance, with the chair authorized to sign the contract.

D. Attorney

Attorney Urbancic had nothing to report.

Supervisor Novitski asked about transferring ownership of the cul-de-sacs to the HOA. Greg stated that they need to be cognizant of the fact that public property cannot be converted to private property, especially that which is funded by bond funds.

E. Engineer

Engineer Krebs discussed the following items from his report.

i. Emergency Exit Update

Engineer Krebs reported that they are waiting on the Lee County DOT to complete their tasks for the project, which it appears will take a few more weeks. They need to install curbing and lime rock first.

ii. Corkscrew Road Discharge into Lake 1 Follow Up

Charlie stated that the County has ensured that the pipe will be cleaned when that section of Corkscrew is completed. Therefore, they need to wait until the County portion is cleaned before the CDD’s portion can be cleaned. Supervisor Novitski asked Chris to make sure that the whole pipe is cleaned.

iii. Traffic Lights on Community Entrance Road Update

This is still being discussed.

iv. Third Exit Lane Follow Up

This is still being discussed.

v. Bat House Update

Eagle Scout Connor Krebs gave his presentation at the beginning of the meeting, and he stated that the houses had been completed, and each one can hold 200 bats, with a capacity of 1,000 bats in all the houses combined. He stated that the bats are good for killing mosquitos and other pests. He also stated that the houses are made of natural materials and painted so they are attractive to the bats. He will work with Chris to determine the best locations for the houses installation, but they must wait until the water levels in the preserves have receded before installation. Charlie will see that the information about the bat houses is placed in the community newsletter.

vi. Master Map of Maintenance Responsibilities

A map identifying the maintenance responsibilities of the HOA and the CDD within the community was prepared and presented, and Supervisor Novitski requested that it be shared with the community HOA Manager.

Supervisor Novitski stated that the acquisition of the lights for the community needs to be on next month’s Agenda.


A. Interior Gatehouse Maintenance Concerns Update

Supervisor Licht will reinspect the gatehouse and report to the Board.

B. Guardhouse Speed Hump Project Update

The HOA Master had agreed to put a traffic hawk in that area to identify how many cars are speeding, and the Board will wait for the data. Supervisor Licht stated that this had been resolved, and there will be more information from KJ later in the meeting.

C. Rejuvenation Project Follow Up

The Board would like Vice Chair Roth to get the information and send them an email about the actual costs for the rejuvenation project.

D. Deed Transfer of Lift/Pump Station Properties Follow Up

The specifics of the work proposal for the driveways being transferred were discussed, and Charlie will send the bid packet for the driveways that he used previously to the Board.

E. Pedestrian Walking Path Along Corkscrew Road

Charlie stated that the CDD had been asked to provide an easement to the HOA Master Board so they can work with the Village on the multi-use path. The illustration about the specifics of the project was included in the packet.

F. Discussion of Generator for Clocktower Operations

This was discussed earlier in the meeting.


A. Financials for September 2022

District Manager Teague reviewed the Financials, and he stated that the CDD will be under budget by $122,252 at the end of the fiscal year.

Supervisor Novitski asked about the increase in the cost of electricity for the wells, and the FPL invoice showing the cost at the meter for the emergency gate. Supervisor Licht commented about the high cost for Newspress.

On MOTION by Vice Chair Roth, seconded by Chair Napolitano, with all in favor, the Board accepted the September 2022 Financials, as submitted.


Supervisor Licht had been asked to ensure that the holiday lights were installed, and she reported that this had been done. She will also ensure that they are functioning well.

Vice Chair Roth expressed his thanks to Supervisor Novitski for his service on the Board, and Chair Napolitano presented him a plaque acknowledging his contribution.


KJ reported that the traffic hawk had been installed and they are still working on the most effective placement. The data will be collected until the end of the year.

KJ also reported on the gate landscaping irrigation lock, and he recommended a double lock. The Board asked KJ, Chris and Tad to work with Estate to determine the most effective solution.


The Meeting was adjourned by Chair Napolitano at 5:11 p.m.

The Next Regular Meeting is November 15, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.

Secretary / Assistant Secretary
Chair / Vice Chair