Skip to main content

Meeting Minutes for December 15, 2020

Habitat
Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Habitat Community Development District was held in the Bella Terra Clubhouse at 20070 Bella Terra Boulevard in Estero, Florida and also via web conference on Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 4 p.m.

Present (or attending via web conference) and constituting a quorum were:

Mark Novitski – Chair
Larry Roth – Vice Chair
Linda Lea Gibson – Assistant Secretary
Jenny Licht – Assistant Secretary
Joe Napolitano – Assistant Secretary


Also present (or attending via web conference) were:

Cal Teague – District Manager
Charlie Krebs – District Engineer
Chris Pepin – Field Manager
Tad Kring – Irrigation Specialists
Christopher Dudak – PDM Assistant to the District Manager
Nancy Dudak – Premier District Management
Residents

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Habitat Community Development District Board of Supervisors Meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESSCall to Order and Roll Call

The meeting was called to order by the Chair, and Cal Teague, District Manager, called roll. All Board members were present. Also present were Engineer Charlie Krebs and Field Manager Chris Pepin. Tad Kring of Irrigation Specialists, Assistant to the District Manager Christopher Dudak, and Nancy Dudak, Premier District Management, attended via telephone or web conference due to the Covid-19 virus.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESSPledge of Allegiance
THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESSApproval of the Agenda

The Board reviewed the Agenda and the District Manager requested that item 6Ci be removed as it was a duplication.

On MOTION by Supervisor Gibson, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, Item 6Ci was removed and the Agenda was approved as amended.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESSAudience Comments on Agenda Items

There being none, the next Order of Business followed.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESSApproval of the Meeting Minutes

The Board reviewed the Meeting Minutes from November 17, 2020 and Supervisor Licht offered a correction.

On MOTION by Supervisor Licht, seconded by Supervisor Napolitano, with all in favor, the Meeting Minutes from November 17, 2020 were changed to reflect a correction on Page 10 with a title error on line 87. “Adding lights at the villas” was changed to “adding streetlights at Villas 1.”

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESSStaff Reports

A. Irrigation Contractor

The District Manager read the irrigation report from Tad Kring.

i. Valve Replacement Update

There have been 40 valves replaced for a total cost of $21,320. No additional funds are needed for the remaining valves. The Field Manager will work with the GIS to update the new items.

ii. Watering BT Boulevard Median During the Day

The watering is on schedule for two days a week. It is on during the day for wet checks. The Field Manager and Mr. Kring will identify areas that need watering daily and create new zones for timers. The District Manager said they have gone over the water allocation by about 1% and it is not a concern unless it goes over 10%. The Chair said he would like to separate landscape areas that need more water and stated he would like to reduce water waste by redesigning the system and watering at night. Mr. Kring said adjustments can be made, and the Chair asked him to coordinate changes with the Field Manager.

It was suggested by the Board that they review Mr. Kring’s contract since he has been given more responsibility and no contract changes have been made in four years.

Pump Station 3 needs some work when the water goes down. Also, Pump 2 needs repairs for a leak when the water recedes. Costs will be calculated and presented to the Board.

B. Chair

i. Emergency Access Road

The Engineer said he needs a check and authorization form signed to proceed with submittal of the Limited Development Order (LDO). The current plan shows how the emergency access road interacts with the County plans for widening Corkscrew Road. The Chair said he would like to see the electrical plan at the next meeting. Another proposal came in at $70,000 from MAJ Contracting. The Engineer is awaiting another proposal. The Chair said he would like to have the road completed by April.

a. New Proposal for Paving

Vice Chair Roth said this will be covered in the Supervisor Reports.

ii. Village and County LDO status

The Chair said he would like an email from the District Manager about the status of the LDO. The District Manager would like to have something to track the finances for the auditors and a spreadsheet has been created.

iii. Specifications and Requests for Proposals

This was covered above.

C. District Manager

All items will be covered in Discussion/Action Items.

D. Field Manager

i. Field Report for December

  • Lee County requested that the community remove all exotic and overgrown vegetation from the fence along the well road. Most of the clean-up falls under the Master Board but the CDD has some responsibility at the end of Cosenza Court. The estimate for the CDD portion is $2,400.

On MOTION by Supervisor Napolitano, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Board voted to remove exotic and overgrown vegetation from the fence at the end of Cosenza Court for $2,400.

  • Some pleco have been removed.
  • One of the compressors on Lake #3 was not functioning and had to be repaired.
  • The Board asked that some work be delayed so as not to disturb holiday decorations.
  • It was suggested that certain decorations not be displayed or pinned down due to safety issues.

ii. Project Updates

a. Stormwater System Inspection Report

The Field Manager reported that MRI said that the report will be completed on December 14th.

b. FPL Light Pole Numbering Update

This project is complete.

c. FPL Street Light Head Replacement

The Field Manager and District Manager have not gotten responses from FPL about this project.

d. Pump Station Meter Upgrade Update

This project has been completed.

e. Clubhouse Crosswalk Striping, Curb & Hydrant Painting Update

The initial project has been completed. Cars have been parking on the curb, so it was painted yellow as a cautionary measure.

f. Community Restriping Update

This project is scheduled for December 16th – 18th.

g. Clocktower Submerged Lighting Update

This has been completed.

h. Speed Cushions Between Corkscrew Road & Guardhouse Update

The cushion on the exit side has a couple of corners that are slightly uplifted. It was suggested that the speed cushions be inspected every six months.

i. Maintenance of the Guardhouse

There was discussion on the letter sent requesting better maintenance of the Guardhouse. Supervisor Licht commented that access was limited and she had difficulty in conducting an inspection. It was commented that this is a CDD asset and that Board members, the Field Manager and the District Manager should not be denied access to inspect this or any CDD asset. Supervisor Licht sent a letter and the District Manager will send a similar letter listing the concerns the CDD has about the condition of the Guardhouse.

E. Attorney

There being none, the next Order of Business followed.

F. Engineer

i. Swale Behind 21027 Torre Del Lago Update

This project is on track to be done in January and will take two weeks. The office will be notified when the work begins so they can notify the affected property owners.

ii. Stop Signs or Speed Humps Discussion

The Engineer said that stop signs send a mixed message with people stopping but then going faster to the next one. He said mobile speed limit signs are an option. The speed humps at the flagpole were suggested to slow people down who race to make the traffic light. Vice Chair Roth found two-inch humps that would be a cheaper alternative than three-inch humps, but the Chair wants to ensure they are good quality and would not need to be replaced frequently. The Fire Department said they are not concerned reducing them from three inches to two inches. Each location would cost $2,400, and must be in groups of three. Supervisor Licht and the Field Manager will select the locations.

On MOTION by Supervisor Gibson, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Board voted to install six 2″ speed bumps at two different locations, on Bella Terra Boulevard and Torre del Lago, for a not to exceed amount of $8,000.

SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESSDiscussion/Action Items

A. Clock Tower Tile Retiling/Cleaning Discussion

The Board will hold off on the Clock Tower retiling.

B. New Street Light in Villas I

This project is awaiting a price quote.

C. Master HOA Phase II Landscaping Upgrades

Supervisor Licht will provide an update for this at the next meeting.

D. New Laptops/Tablets for Supervisors

The District Manager got quotes for a Microsoft Surface, a Samsung Galaxy tablet and an iPad. They range from $650 to $900. He said he would get a business account for each Board member to access the necessary software they are required to have.

On MOTION by Supervisor Napolitano, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Board voted to purchase four Microsoft Surface computers for a not to exceed amount of $4,000 that will include the software they need to conduct CDD business with the intent of reducing paper by January.

EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESSFinancial Reports

A. Financials for November 2020

The November 2020 Financials were discussed.

On MOTION by Supervisor Napolitano, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Financials for November 2020.

NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Communications

A. Estero Council of Community Leaders

i. New Greater Estero Community Report

a. https://esterotoday.com/research-and-reports/

ii. Online Meetings and Agendas

a. https://esterotoday.com/reports/

TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisors Requests
  • Vice Chair Roth met with a paving contractor that provides a rejuvenation process to extend the life of asphalt surfaces and the Board asked him to continue his researching this option. He also commented on a request for a HOA committee to discuss the potential guardhouse revisions with the architect.
  • Supervisor Napolitano suggested that it would be easier to have trucks stop further out and walk to the far lane to check in at the gate. The District Manager said he will resend the egress PowerPoint to the Board.
  • Supervisor Licht said there was excessive garbage at the second round-about and entrance. She thanked Vice Chair Roth for the holiday d├ęcor. She would like some clarity for the community about how to direct inquiries about decorations to the District Manager.
  • Chair Novitski expressed concern regarding golf carts parking along the lakes. People are fishing there and parking the carts on the grass. Trespassing on private property, unlicensed drivers and breaking sprinkler heads, are his main concerns.
ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments
  • Ed Capezzuto addressed the speeding issue. He suggested having two speed clocks and moving them everyday so nobody knows where to expect them. He also said the holes are still there from the last speed humps. He also addressed beautification and said he would rather have it done while winter residents are away and not to do the work at the busiest time of the year. He said it should be an Agenda item for the Master Board.
  • Diane Meek said that handicapped and city buses come down Torre del Lago, and someone should check with them before installing speed humps. She also said the security personnel should call the sheriff when people park illegally. She does not like the yellow curb paint. She also asked about sewer caps that make noise when they are driven over. She said that paint is chipping off the No Fishing signs. She said there is no 20 mph sign at the Guardhouse. She was told that the sign is in the Clock Tower.
  • Joe Bonilla said it is hard for residents to keep up, but he did not realize that the Minutes had to be approved before they are posted online. He stated that the curb by the pump station is dangerous. The Chair asked that a work order be created for it. Mr. Bonilla mentioned that he waters because his plants are dying and the grass is getting yellow. He asked to have the water restrictions be explained. The Chair suggested he submit a work order if his system is not working properly.
TWELFTH ORDER OF BUSINESSAdjournment

There being no further Orders of Business and,

The Chair adjourned the meeting at 5:48 p.m.

Next Meeting: January 19, 2021 at 4 p.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair