Skip to main content

Draft Meeting Minutes for November 17, 2020

Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Habitat Community Development District was held in the Bella Terra Clubhouse at 20070 Bella Terra Boulevard in Estero, Florida on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 4 p.m.

Present (or attending via web conference) and constituting a quorum were:

Mark Novitski – Chair
Larry Roth – Vice Chair
Linda Lea Gibson – Assistant Secretary
Jenny Licht – Assistant Secretary

Also present (or attending via web conference) were:

Cal Teague – District Manager
Charlie Krebs – District Engineer
Chris Pepin – Field Manager
Christopher Dudak – PDM Assistant to the District Manager
Nancy Dudak – Premier District Management

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Habitat Community Development District Board of Supervisors Meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESSCall to Order and Roll Call

The meeting was called to order by the Chair, and Cal Teague, District Manager, called roll. All Board members were present, except Joe Napolitano. Also present was Field Manager Chris Pepin, Engineer Charlie Krebs, Assistant to the District Manager Christopher Dudak, and Nancy Dudak, Premier District Management who attended via web conference.

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESSPost-Election Supervisor Oath of Office

Supervisor Gibson read and signed the Oath of Office. (Supervisor Napolitano took the Oath at the County Supervisor of Elections Offices.)


The District Manager explained Resolution 2021-01 referring to the Board Reorganization. Mark Novitski was nominated as Chair, Larry Roth as Vice Chair, Cal Teague as Secretary and Treasurer, and Jennifer Miller as Assistant Treasurer. The other Board members will serve as Assistant Secretaries.

On MOTION by Supervisor Licht, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Board was reorganized under Resolution 2021-01 with Mark Novitski as Chair, Larry Roth as Vice Chair, Cal Teague as Secretary and Treasurer, and Jennifer Miller as Assistant Treasurer. The other Board members will serve as Assistant Secretaries.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESSApproval of the Agenda

The Board discussed the Agenda.

On MOTION by Chair Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Agenda was approved.

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESSAudience Comments on Agenda Items

There being none, the next Order of Business followed.

SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESSApproval of Meeting Minutes

The Board reviewed the Minutes from October 20, 2020.

On MOTION by Vice Chair Roth, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Meeting Minutes from October 20, 2020 were approved as submitted.


A. Irrigation Contractor

The Chair read the irrigation report from Tad Kring. There was an issue with pump station #3. No snails/shells were present. He requested that Solitude continue spraying. Mr. Kring did not replace any valves.

i. Valve Replacement Update

No valves were replaced this month and Mr. Kring felt he had sufficient funds appropriated if any new ones come up. The Board would like to see a summary of what has been done and how much is left.

ii. Controlling Water Usage Next Wet Season

Mr. Kring commented that they were going back to watering twice per week and next year, during the rainy season, he will provide a one day per week watering schedule and coordinate additional watering needs with the landscapers.

a. Rain Sensors at CDD Pump Stations

Some of the Board members thought this might not be needed and is on hold until needed.

b. Watering Only 1 Day a Week

With water supply back to limits established by South West Florida Water Management, Mr. Kring says they able to go back to two day per week until the rainy season. The community will reduce watering to one day during the rainy season. If that watering schedule does not work to keep the community within their water usage allotment, they will find another solution.

B. Chair

i. Emergency Access Road/Corkscrew Widening/Right of Way

The Chair explained how the “right of way” impacts the widening of Corkscrew Road. Construction is expected to begin in the Spring. The traffic light will have to move. The Field Manager is working with the Engineer as to what land belongs to the CDD for now. The Master HOA is already in discussion with the Villages about the location and access for the pedestrian walkway. The Chair will send them a note asking for CDD input on this project. Supervisor Licht expressed a desire for an official permit route versus counting on expert advice only. The Field Manager and the Engineer are working on quotes for the project and gate.

ii. Southside of Corkscrew Road Bike/Pedestrian Path

Supervisor Licht is working with Estero on bike path location access.

iii. Property Transfer Considerations

The transfer will happen on the other three properties at a later date.

C. District Manager

The District Manager reported that the FEMA reimbursement of $50,000 has been received and deposited.

D. Field Manager

i. Field Report for November

The Field Manager will let the Clubhouse know when they will be doing the street sweeping so cars can be moved.

ii. Project Updates

a. Stormwater System Inspection Update

The Field Manager reported that he is still waiting for MRI to provide the stormwater system report.

b. Clock Tower Door Replacement Update

The Field Manager stated that the Clock Tower project is completed.

c. Cypress Tree Planting Update

The planting should be completed by November 17th.

d. FPL Light Pole Numbering Update

The light pole numbering is two-thirds complete. Bella Terra Boulevard and Barletta Lane remain to be finished.

e. Pump Station Meter Upgrade Update

FPL scheduled a shut-down of the electrical panel on December 9th for West Coast Electrical to complete their work.

f. Clubhouse Crosswalk Striping, Curb and Hydrant Painting Update

Tropical Storm Eta pushed the project back by one week.

g. Community Restriping Update

The Field Manager reported that this task will be completed December 16th through 18th.

h. Clocktower Submerged Lighting Update

The submerged lights are scheduled to be installed on November 17. GFI will be installed to ensure they are up to code.

E. Attorney

There being none, the next Order of Business followed.

F. Engineer

i. Three-Way or Four-Way Stops on Bella Terra Roads

The Chair had requested the Engineer and Field Manager look into three and four-way stop signs at specific intersections as opposed to speed bumps. The Field Manager said he can get generic stop signs and had some poles in stock to use as a alternate option. It was felt that it could be less expensive and maybe more effective. The Board will consider options for the next meeting.

NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESSDiscussion/Action Items

A. Clock Tower Tile Cleaning Discussion

The Board asked Supervisor Licht to get more options on changing the tiles which may be a more efficient option than removing the calcium from them.

B. Speed Cushions

i. 21819 Bella Terra Proposal

Speed cushions were discussed in the Engineer’s Report.

ii. Between Corkscrew Road and Guard House

They are still waiting for a proposal from D&G to replace the speed cushion at the Guardhouse. Speed bumps are about $2,400 each.


A. Financials for October 2020

The October 2020 Financials were discussed.

On MOTION by Vice Chair Roth, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Financials for October 2020.


A. Estero Council of Community Leaders

i. New Greater Estero Community Report


ii. Online Meetings and Agendas


TWELFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisors Requests and/or Comments
  • Supervisor Licht said she spoke with the HOA Landscape Committee about some bushes around a box and another area. She will also ask about plantings at the auxiliary parking lot.
  • Supervisor Gibson was approached about adding lights at the Villas. The District Manager will get some prices. She also said oak trees at the cul-de-sac need trimming, which is an HOA issue.
  • Vice Chair Roth asked about the holiday decorations guidelines being sent to residents. Requests for approval will go to the District Manager.
  • Vice Chair Roth wants to go with the District Manager, Field Manager and Engineer to observe a sealing project.
  • Vice Chair Roth wants a copy of the Guardhouse rendering for Jim Meeks. He is participating on the Building Intangible Committee.
  • Chair Novitski would like business to be conducted electronically, unless they require signatures. He will investigate using iPads.
  • Robert Warner commented that the Go-to-Meetings app has a poor connection. He also commented that the car wash has sprinklers running at the exit that ruin the clean car. He also recommended flashing stop signs for better recognition.

There being no further Orders of Business and,

On MOTION by Supervisor Licht, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned at 5:28 p.m.

Next Meeting: December 15, 2020 at 4 p.m.

Secretary/Assistant Secretary
Chair/Vice Chair