Skip to main content

Draft Meeting Minutes for July 19, 2022

Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Habitat Community Development District was held in the Bella Terra Clubhouse at 20070 Bella Terra Boulevard in Estero, Florida and also via web conference on Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 4 p.m.

Present (or attending via web conference) and constituting a quorum were:

Joe Napolitano – Chair
Larry Roth – Vice Chair
Linda Lea Gibson – Assistant Secretary
Mark Novitski – Assistant Secretary

Also present (or attending via web conference):

Cal Teague – PDM District Manager
Chris Pepin, Field Manager, Field Management Services
Charlie Krebs – Engineer, Hole Montes, Inc.
Greg Urbancic – Attorney, Coleman Yovanovich Koester, PA

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Habitat Community Development District Board of Supervisors Meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The meeting was called to order and four Board members were present, with Supervisor Gibson attending via web conference. Also in attendance were Cal Teague, the District Manager, Chris Pepin, the Field Manager, and some Residents. Participating via web conference were Charlie Krebs, the Engineer, and Greg Urbanic, the Attorney.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Chair Napolitano, with all in favor, the Board approved Supervisor Gibson’s attendance via web conference.


THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

Add 6Bii FY 2021 Audit

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Agenda was approved, as amended.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

Jack Simper commented about weeds around the ponds.
Keith Booker stated that he is on the landscape committee, and he had some landscape coordination concerns.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of Meeting Minutes

A. Draft Meeting Minutes for June 21, 2022

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Board accepted the June 21, 2022 Draft Meeting Minutes, as submitted.


A. Irrigation Contractor

i. Monthly Irrigation Report

District Manager Teague reported that Tad Kring had sent the monthly report that morning abd he summarized it:

He said that Tad reported that the internet provider for the pumps will have all payments scheduled and communication plans synchronized to be renewed at the same time.

He commented that they continue to flush all mainlines weekly, and that all pumps are running well.

As they continue to chlorinate and flush the filters, they continue to see a reduction of snail shells and debris clogging the filters, and the work orders had lessened.

They had ordered the chlorinator and tank for pump station #7, and it will be installed in August, 2022.

ii. Mainline and Irrigation Break Charges (Hotwire)

Tad also had stated that the breaks reported were not Hotwire issues, and he took care of them.

B. District Manager

i. Assessment Increase Letter Update

District Manager Teague stated that the letter had been reviewed by the Board at the last meeting and was scheduled to be mailed out by the end of the week.

ii. FY 2021 Audit

District Manager Teague reviewed the audit, which was very clean and had no findings. It was commented that a line item must be created in the new Budget for emergency exit electric.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Board accepted the Audit and authorized filing of the Annual Financial Report.

C. Field Manager

i. Project Updates

Field Manager Pepin reported on the following issues:

a. GIS Solutions Proposal

The data from Passarella was put on a CD and given to the new service provider. The Board also approved the proposal to update the GIS mapping system, and they agreed to allow the HOA access to it.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Board approved upgrades to the network system, including parcel ownership identification, drainage structure updates, roadway signs updates, and Hotwire’s installation of fiber lines, and allowed the Habitat HOA access to the system, not to exceed $3,000.

b. FPL Street Light Head Replacement Update

District Manager Teague updated the Board, and he stated that a meeting with the Village of Estero was held and everything was resolved. The project should resume in 4-6 weeks.

c. 2022 Community Concrete Repair Project Update

The contractor was on site working on the project. There had been a miscommunication regarding the four ramps at the clock tower. The contractor thought that the ramps were only being removed, but they had also been tasked to reinstall the locations with new curb and gutter. The contractor stated that he will look at the area, and let Field Manager Pepin know if there will be an additional charge for the concrete. If so, the Board agreed to the additional charge.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Board approved additional repairs at the clock tower.

After the vote, the Board wanted to ensure that parking cones are used, and it was also suggested that sod from Cleto that is being removed could be used.

d. Speed Cushion Removal & Replacement Near the Guardhouse Update

D&G had misunderstood which type of speed cushions were to be replaced on the exit side of Bella Terra Boulevard. They thought that they were only to replace the old speed cushions, but they had not planned to upgrade them to speed tables. They had sent a revised quote for $29,952 for installing speed tables at all three locations. In addition, a new set of speed tables will be installed on the entrance side and at the flagpole, so the tables are more uniform. This issue was tabled until next month so that updated information and prices could be obtained.

ii. Current Field Report

a. Service History Report

Field Manager Pepin reviewed his field report and the following items were discussed:

Chris reported that the lakes were in good condition, but there were a lot of shoreline weeds.

The Board would like Chris and the HOA to work together to get a contract for addressing the silt issues.

Chris reported that the Bosco Court bubbler had been installed.

Chris reported that a resident had planted several Norfolk pine trees on the lake bank next to 13690 Martone Court. These trees are non-native and will get extremely tall. Chris will see that they are removed. Half of a cypress tree had been cut down behind the same address, and even though it is still alive, it is unsightly. Chris will have the cypress tree replaced.

b. Projects and Work Order Tracking Logs

This was in the packet, and there were no questions.

D. Attorney

Attorney Urbancic commented that the deed transfer for the pump station was on track.

E. Engineer

i. Emergency Exit Update

The project is on hold, because the plans reflected that the light pole was too high at 15′ and should be lowered to 6′.

ii. Corkscrew Road Discharge into Lake 1

Engineer Krebs was asked to make certain that the discharge from the Corkscrew Road widening project would be protected to prevent silt and debris from getting into the lake. It was also questioned whether there were 1 or 2 pipes coming in. Engineer Krebs will research this.

iii. Traffic Lights on Community Entrance Road

Engineer Krebs was asked how to get more exit volume from Bella Terra onto Corkscrew Road. This raised the question of establishing 3rd exit lane from Bella Terra. Charlie said that there was not a good way to do this, because a 3rd lane couldn’t be created owing to too many utility lines that would need to be relocated. If it was added to the West, the median would have to be narrowed, and too many trees and plants would have to be removed. The goal in having three lanes was to create two left turn lanes and one straight lane or right turn lane. The Board asked Charlie to look at a better coordination of the turn signals exiting both communities.

He was also asked to get a bat house update.


A. Interior Gatehouse Maintenance Concerns

An email was sent to the HOA manager with pictures from Chris’s report. District Manager Teague will have an update at the next meeting.


A. Financials for June 2022

District Manager Teague reviewed the Financials.

The Board pointed out that one of the invoices from the sub associates was for easement and not a cul-de-sac.

On MOTION by Supervisor Novitski, seconded by Vice Chair Roth, with all in favor, the Board accepted the June 2022 Financials, as submitted.


Chair Napolitano asked that the solar light at Torre del Lago be checked.


Keith Booker commented on a tree that needs to be cut in the preserve. Chris will investigate this.

Norm Reno commented that it might be time for addressing a silt issue in August.


The Meeting was adjourned by Chair Napolitano at 5:09 p.m.

The Next Regular Meeting and Public Hearing will be August 16, 2022 at 4:00 p.m.

Secretary / Assistant Secretary
Chair / Vice Chair