Skip to main content

Copy of Draft Meeting Minutes for June 18, 2024

Habitat
Community Development District

The regular meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Habitat Community Development District was held in the Bella Terra Clubhouse at 20070 Bella Terra Boulevard in Estero, Florida and also via web conference on Tuesday, June 18, 2024 at 4 p.m.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Larry Roth – Chair
Norman Reno – Vice Chair
Jenny Licht – Assistant Secretary
Linda Lea Gibson – Assistant Secretary

Also present:

Cal Teague – District Manager, Premier District Management (PDM)
Charlie Krebs – Engineer, Hole Montes, Inc.
Chris Pepin – Field Manager, Community Field Services
Melissa Gindling – Assistant District Manager, PDM
Mandie Rainwater – Assistant District Manager, PDM
Diane Meek – Resident
Residents

Attending remotely:

Greg Urbancic – Attorney, Coleman, Yovanovich & Koester, P.A.

The following is a summary of the actions taken at the Habitat Community Development District Board of Supervisors Meeting.

FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS Call to Order and Roll Call

The meeting was called to order and Four Board members were present. Also in attendance were Cal Teague, the District Manager, Charlie Krebs, the Engineer, Chris Pepin, the Field Manager, Melissa Gindling, Assistant District Manager, Mandie Rainwater, Assistant District Manager, and Two Residents, including Diane Meek. Attending remotely was Greg Urbancic, the Attorney.

SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS Pledge of Allegiance

THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS Approval of the Agenda

7G: Proposal for Storm Water Structure Cleaning was added to the Agenda before the meeting.

On MOTION by Supervisor Licht, seconded by Supervisor Gibson, with all in favor, the Amended Agenda was approved, as presented.

FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments on Agenda Items

There were no Audience comments on Agenda items.

FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Consent Agenda

A. Items to Be Pulled for Discussion

There were no items pulled.

B. Motion to Approve Consent Items

On MOTION by Vice Chair Reno, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Board approved all Consent Items, as presented.

C. Consideration of Items Pulled for Discussion

D. Consent Items

i. Draft Workshop Meeting Minutes for May 21, 2024

ii. Draft Regular Meeting Minutes for May 21, 2024

Supervisor Roth noted that the minutes listed a 2-day drying time when it should be a 2-hour drying time. This change was made prior to the meeting, and the Board was presented an updated copy.

iii. Financial Report for May 2024

iv. Project Tracking Logs

SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Staff Reports

A. Irrigation Contractor

i. Irrigation Line Treatments Follow-up

Field Manager Pepin reported that irrigation will be turned off for 5 days while the treatments are applied, beginning on June 19th. He was asked to send a note to the HOA, so they can alert the residents.

B. District Manager

i. FEMA Reimbursement Update

District Manager Teague stated that all appeals for all 3 projects have been submitted and validated by FDEM. They have 60 days to file a recommendation with FEMA.

ii. Fiscal Year 2025 Budget Discussion

District Manage Teague stated that the August 20, 2024 meeting is the date for the Budget approval and the Public Hearing.

iii. District Goals and Objectives Document Update

District Manager Teague stated that staff is drafting a document for this mandate, and a sample was provided to the Board, which was reviewed at the meeting. He stated that PDM has asked for proposals from outside firms who have written similar reports for other districts. He stated that, if the process remains simple, PDM will draft this document at no additional cost, but if reporting requirements require excessive time, PDM may have to charge. They will send the document to Attorney Urbancic, so he can determine whether it meets the requirements of the law. Supervisor Licht recommended adding a summary at the beginning of the report, which provides an overview of the District, as well as, staff and Board roles.

C. Field Manager

i. Current Field Report

Field Manager Pepin reviewed the field report and the following was discussed:

He reported that the lakes are very high due to the recent rain, and they are treating new weeds and algae in the lakes.

A resident will ask the pool company that had completed work for them to remove a boulder that was dropped into Lake 14. Chris stated that he will contact the HOA to see if the deposit is still being held until the boulder is removed.

He stated that the there are buttonwood trees around Lake 7 that may require removal and replacement.

Chris reported that drain pipes leading to the lakes are exposed because of the recent rain events, and he will have them covered after the water recedes.

He stated that they tried to repair the catch basin at 21883 Bella Terra Boulevard, which did not hold, so it will be redone.
 
As noted in the report, Bird of Paradise trees are invasive and not allowed in the preserves, and this can be relayed to residents, if needed.

Chris stated that one sign was not placed in the proper location when they were installing street signs, and he will contact the vendor and ask them to move it.

He stated that approximately 55 solar markers are not operating, and he suggested installing data in the GIS system for tracking failures and needed repairs in the future.

He reported that residents have installed drainage pipes between two residences that are 2 or 3 feet from the high water level of the lake, which could cause erosion. Staff will investigate.

Supervisor Licht asked about the pumps, and Chris stated that the recharge pumps are turned on every day from 10:00 a.m. to noon, and Engineer Krebs and Field Manager Pepin explained their function. They are shut off during rainy conditions, based on the offsite company’s measures, and cannot be overridden by residents.

Field Manager Pepin stated that dish soap was placed in a fountain again, but it was caught early enough and corrected before an issue developed.

Supervisor Licht requested that Chris replace the 2 buttonwood trees on Lake 7, and she also noticed that the back of several signs have lichens, which need to be removed.

ii. Project Updates

a. Muhly Grass Planting

This is scheduled to be completed by the end of the month.

b. Hardwood Pruning

This is scheduled to be completed on July 1st.

c. Guardhouse Repairs

Chair Roth asked about pest control in the guardhouse, and it was discussed.

Field Manager Pepin stated that it has been difficult to get the contractor to return to finish pressure washing the guardhouse. There is also a concern from the HOA about the closure of lanes and its timing. Chris will contact the HOA again to ask for a compromise.

D. Attorney

i. Levine vs. Habitat CDD Trip and Fall Case Update

Attorney Urbancic reported that the attorney for the insurance company has rejected arbitration and requested a trial.

Chair Roth reported that KJ will be speaking with the HOA attorney regarding the new maintenance contract, and upon its completion, it will be forwarded to Attorney Urbancic for review.

E. Engineer

i. Emergency Exit Update

Engineer Krebs stated that they are still waiting for the contractor to close the right-of-way permit, so the certification to the Village can be completed. The District has paid three of four invoices to Collier Paving, and Charlie will hold the final invoice until the permit is closed.

Supervisor Roth asked if artificial turf would be a better ground cover, and Engineer Krebs indicated that it must be staked, and traffic would tear the stakes, necessitating their replacement. In addition, it may not recover after cars have driven over it, and it could also damage tires.

ii. Drainage Concern at 21019 Torre Del Lago

Engineer Krebs reported that he is still waiting for the surveyor’s report, and once it is received, he will forward it to Field Manager Pepin.

SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Discussion/Action Items

A. HOA/CDD Maintenance Contract Negotiations Update

It was reported that, at the last HOA meeting, they voted to have a new contract drafted. It is expected to be similar to the original contract.

Chair Roth commented on the Christmas decorations, and it was discussed. It was decided that Supervisor Licht will represent the Board to voice their concern over the 2024 decoration plan.

On MOTION by Supervisor Gibson, seconded by Vice Chair Reno, with all in favor, the Board appointed Supervisor Licht as the Board’s representative to communicate the Board’s concerns about the Christmas decorations to the HOA.

B. Roadway Repairs

Engineer Krebs stated that he is compiling a list of repair items, and it will be forwarded when it is complete.

C. Asphalt Rejuvenator Follow-up

District Manager Teague stated that they are collecting answers to the questionnaire given to each company and will obtain a price per square yard. Staff is completing a comparison spreadsheet, which will be sent to the Board. Attorney Urbancic asked if the cost is exceeding the threshold for public bidding, and if the project should be opened to the RFP bidding process. Attorney Urbancic and Engineer Krebs will research this further, and provide an update at the next meeting.

D. Cul-de-sac Ride Around Update

No update was available. It was decided that Supervisor Licht will attend the next ride around.

E. Emergency Gate Procedure

Staff drafted an emergency gate procedure, which was presented. The protocol for determining an emergency, and the contact hierarchy was discussed, and Chair Roth suggested a sign in/sign out sheet. It was decided that the Board will consider the options for another month. At the next meeting, staff will present a resolution.

F. Lakes to be Transferred from HOA to CDD Follow-up

District Manager Teague reported that the transfer is proceeding. It was stated that the permits were transferred previously, and the plats will need to be changed to the CDD. Once this transfer document is drafted, Attorney Urbancic will review it. Supervisor Meek has been discussing the transfer of 2 lakes from the HOA to the CDD, among other items, and Premier Lakes quoted lake maintenance services at $100 per lake. It was decided that Field Manager Pepin will number the lakes, Supervisor Licht will name them, and the lakes will be added to the GIS system.

On MOTION by Supervisor Gibson, seconded by Supervisor Licht, with all in favor, the Board approved adding two lakes to the GIS system, with Field Manager Pepin numbering the lakes, and Supervisor Licht naming them, and increasing the lake maintenance contract by $200.

G. Proposal for Storm Water Structure Cleaning

District Manager Teague stated that Field Manager Pepin submitted a proposal to clean 4 drainage pipes under Lake 17 that are filled with silt at the cost of $1,800. The proposal was approved.

On MOTION by Chair Roth, seconded by Vice Chair Reno, with all in favor, the Board approved the proposal to clean 4 drainage pipes under Lake 17, not to exceed $1,800.

EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS H.O.A. Report

There was no report from the HOA.

NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Supervisor Requests

Supervisor Licht asked the Board to give her their input regarding the holiday decorations before she leaves today, because she will be speaking with Priscilla in the near future.

Supervisor Gibson commented that Villas I has approached her and asked about the grass cutting and trimming schedule for the cul-de-sac. Field Manager Pepin will investigate. She also commented that lids were off some irrigation boxes in Villas I, and the residents wondered if they can they be locked. Field Manager Pepin will investigate.

In addition, the new treasurer asked Supervisor Gibson why an electric bill is in the HOA’s budget, and if it is the CDD’s or HOA’s responsibility. It was stated that there are street lights in the cul-de-sac that operate at night. District Manager Teague stated that, when the CDD was given the responsibility for the cul-de-sacs, the HOA agreed to pay for the electricity. District Manager Teague stated that the lights can be turned off or removed, if the HOA does not want to pay for electricity.

Supervisor Roth commented that a resident asked if the sewer pumps have a backup generator. It was stated that this is not controlled by the CDD, but by the County. He also asked about the 3 1/2% discount for those residents who pay their assessments early.

TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Audience Comments

Diane Meek asked if the lights installed by FPL are working properly. Field Manager Pepin stated that all issues from the hurricane have been resolved, but there are some minor issues, such as lights staying on during the daytime, and it is most a likely a photosensor issue. District Manager Teague mentioned that, if lights are on during the day, it does not cost the CDD additional money, since the CDD pays a flat price for the light poles and their maintenance.

ELEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS Adjournment

Chair Roth adjourned the meeting at 5:37 p.m.

The Next Regular Meeting is July 16, 2024 at 4:00 p.m.

Secretary / Assistant Secretary
Chair / Vice Chair